Peter Pan 50p coins have been released in June 2019 as a set of commemorative coins to celebrate the 90th anniversary of JM Barrie gifting his rights in his story to Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH).
- Country of Issue: Isle of Man * see below
- Year of Issue: 2019
- Denomination: 50p
- Metal: Cupro-nickel
- Diameter: 27.3mm
- Weight: 8g
- Reverse: David Wyatt/Matt Tindall
- Obverse: Jody Clark
- Finish: Brilliant Uncirculated
90 Years ago in 1929, Scottish-born Barrie gifted the copyright of Peter Pan to the GOSH.
The hospital has received royalties from sales of Peter Pan books and other products ever since!
Peter Pan 50p Coin Set
The Peter Pan 50p collection includes 6 legal tender Isle of Man 50p coins, each featuring a well-known character and quote:
- Peter Pan 50p
- Coin features a silhouette of Peter Pan, surrounded by stars and the inscription "All children, except one, grow up"
- Peter Pan and the Darling Children 50p
- Coin features a silhouette of Peter Pan and the Darling family flying to Neverland, surrounded by stars and the inscription "Second to the right and then straight on till morning"
- Wendy 50p
- Coin features a silhouette of Wendy Darling sitting in bed, looking out through the window with the family dog beside the bed. The silhouette is surrounded by stars and the inscription "Peter Pan has come and he is to teach us to fly"
- Captain Hook 50p
- Coin features a silhouette of Captain Hook, surrounded by stars and the inscription "Avast belay, yo ho, heave to, a-pirating we go"
- Tinker Bell 50p
- Coin features a silhouette of Tinkerbell, surrounded by stars and the inscription "If you believe, clap your hands"
- The Crocodile 50p
- Coin features a silhouette of the crocodile in water, surrounded by stars and the inscription "It was the terrible tick-tick of the crocodile"
These coins are already appearing on eBay here:
Peter Pan 50p 2019 Coin Decals Full Collection
Bid Price: $7.62
Time Remaining: 14d 9h 55m
Buy It Now for only: $7.62
Official 2019 Peter Pan Silver Proof 50p Coloured Coin Set Royal Mint Ltd Edt
Bid Price: $1,272.10
Time Remaining: 14d 19h 23m
Buy It Now for only: $1,272.10
Official 2019 Peter Pan Gold Proof 50p Coin Royal Mint Limited Edition 50
Bid Price: $1,908.15
Time Remaining: 14d 21h
Buy It Now for only: $1,908.15
First Ever 2019 Peter Pan Silver Proof 50p Coloured Coin Royal Mint
Bid Price: $190.82
Time Remaining: 14d 20h 3m
Buy It Now for only: $190.82
Note: some are pre-orders. Check with the Seller direct when you can expect delivery.
Isle Of Man Coins
Note, these 50p are not issued by the Royal Mint, as most UK coins are. Official currency for the UK is struck at the Royal Mint in Llantrisant, Wales.
Tower Mint in London, will produce the Peter Pan 50p coins, having been selected to strike official coinage for the Isle of Man Treasury in 2017.
Tower Mint is an independent Private Limited company and in no way associated with the Royal Mint.
Also note that whilst pound sterling is valid on the Isle of Man, Tower Mint’s Isle of Man coinage – known as the Manx pound – is not legal tender in the UK.
We have seen these coins also described as “British Isles 50p coins”.
25,000 of each of the six designs will be entering circulation on the Isle of Man.
See the Tower Mint website for more details.